Do you have constant headaches, damaged teeth or trouble sleeping? You may suffer from bruxism, a condition marked by unconsciously grinding your teeth during the day or clenching and grinding them at night.
Bruxism is often a cause of TMJ, a condition that occurs when your jaw becomes misaligned. When it occurs at night, bruxism falls under the category of sleep-related movement disorders and those who have it are more likely to also suffer from other dental sleep conditions such as sleep apnea and snoring.
Since you may not know you have bruxism until complications arise, you should be aware of the warning signs, which include:
- Grinding or clenching of teeth, often loud enough to wake a sleeping partner
- Flattened, chipped, loose, or fractured teeth
- Worn tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Pain or soreness in your jaw or face
- Jaw muscles that are tired or tight
- Pain in your ear like an earache, even though there’s nothing wrong with your ear
- Headaches starting in your temples
- Cheek damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Tongue indentations
- A locked jaw
Visiting our Northern Virginia dentists for your regularly scheduled checkups can help catch these symptoms before your bruxism results in more serious issues such as TMJ. By catching these warning signs at their earliest stages, Dr. Chung can help you maintain optimal levels of oral health for years to come.
If you suffer from bruxism and want to explore your dental options with Dr. Chung, please contact Softouch Dental Care using the form on this page or call 703-319-6990 today to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in McLean, Vienna, Oakton and throughout Northern Virginia.